It’s true that I grew up with singing as my first language. It’s true that singing was celebration. It was solace. It was communion.
And it was often a kind of healing.
So do I self-medicate with song today? You bet I do! Especially on my birthday!
A couple decades back, when my 40th birthday loomed and leered at me, I tumbled myself into a hot bath with a cold soda and started writing a song to help me make it through the rest of my birthdays.
This was a very smart decision.Do YOU self-medicate with songs? Click To Tweet
It took me just over a year to finish it, but I sing “Congratulations, You Made it This Far” to myself more than any other song I know – and not just on my birthday.
People tell me this song has now become a tradition in their own families. It’s one of my most-requested songs at every show – where I sometimes invite all the Birthday folks up on stage so I can sing it directly to them. Because this is the song I need to hear on every single birthday.
Do YOU self-medicate with songs? Want a free prescription?
Then come sing it with me at my next show – check out my tour schedule here.
- See what's coming up at my EVENTS PAGE
Classes & Workshops
- Jazz for Harps - New class at Hip Harp Academy coming soon! Find out more HERE!
- Harness Your Muse - Yearlong Mentorship is open for Application Apply Now
TEDx Talk "From the Harp"
- Watch my NEW TEDx talk "Reinventing Freedom ...' - a story told "from the Harp"
- Check out my Free Stuff page for MP3 downloads, Mini-Trainings for Harpists - and other things you can download for free DHC's FREE-Stuff Page
NEW in 2018! Double CD Collection
- Check out my new "Essential DHC" 2-CD Collection or BUY THE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD