Hip Harp Academy
Yearlong Academy Membership
What if you had it all …
and you didn’t know how to use it?
That’s what it’s like for most harp players
If you play the harp, you probably think you need to develop faster technique or more skills in order to play ‘better.’
But that’s a myth
The truth is that you just DON’T KNOW HOW to use what you ALREADY HAVE!
You’re stuck to the page because you haven’t been taught how music ‘works’. This goes for advanced and professional as well as fledgling or intermediate players.
You just don’t know how to use what you already have.
Well, that’s all about to change!
“Hip Harp Academy” is all about learning to express yourSELF with your instrument at the technical ability you have right now, this very minute – and the Full membership level gives you access to ALL the online courses in the Academy for a full year.
That means you’ll spend a whole year with me, developing your repertoire of self-expression, going one class at a time, having
- FOR ADVANCED PLAYERS that means you’ll learn to improvise and really have fun with those ‘chops’ you’ve spent your life developing.
- FOR FLEDGLING PLAYERS it means learning alternatives to your technical challenges so you can play fluently and creatively right now using the skills you do have.
- FOR INTERMEDIATE PLAYERS it means learning skills to add to the ones you already have.
For everyone it means learning the double-power of simplifying and embellishing so every piece you play continues to expand as you get more and more comfortable with your instrument … and yourself.
SUMMER at HIP HARP ACADEMY!
Make a huge leap in your creative expression – Learn the skills that give professional musicians access to their personsl self-expression — and learn to use them in your playing RIGHT NOW. Leap, Dive, Plunge — you can do it three different ways:
A. LEAP INTO your GREATEST CREATIVE YEAR Ever
Hip Harp Academy – Year-Long Program
Join the Academy for a full year to get ALL the Classes & Virtual Retreats. Make a huge leap this year in your creative expression, your playing fluidity and your self-expression. When you become a full member you have access to ALL the classes in the Academy for a full year. Learn more & register here
B. DIVE in to Creative Expression with a VIRTUAL SUMMER CAMP
Jazz for Harps – 12-Week Program
This 12-Week Program gives you the fundamentals of Jazz on Lever or Pedal Harp. It’s open NOW with pre-recorded training to take at your own pace and live weekly chats where you can ask the questions to empower your learning. There are 3 levels to the class (Fledgling, Intermediate & Advanced) – with fluidity between levels. Learn more & register here
C. IMMERSE YOURSELF! Plunge into the Exhillirating Joy of a New Skill
Join these Immersion Programs individually (or get them ALL when you join for the full year – as above)
1. Sing & Play Harp (3-Chord Magic) Immersion
This “Immersion” program can be completed in a single day – and it NOW comes with additional material to expand harmonies and accompaniment. Learn more & register here.
2. Hands on Harmony – Immersion
This program combines 6 hours of basic training with a LIVE VIRTUAL RETREAT. Learn it on-line at your own pace Learn more & register here.
Hip Harp Academy
REGISTRATION OPEN NOW!
Hip Harp Academy
REGISTRATION OPEN NOW
Is a year-long curriculum for Harp Players who want to develop Improvisation, arrrangement and performance skills so they can express themSELVES with their instruments and their music.
The Academy includes over a dozen different classes
You Always Have TWO OPTIONS
for joining Academy Classes:
1. SINGLE CLASS PURCHASE
Once you purchase an individual class, all the training for that class is available for 24/7 access for 6 months.
You can purchase and join a class any time – HOWEVER, most people choose to join a specific class when Deborah (DHC) is “guiding” that class. She guides each class once a year, on a schedule, with live chats and assignments to help you put what you’re learning into play. To purchase a single class, click on it in the gallery of classes below.
2. YEARLY ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
Get yearlong access to ALL classes in the Academy, including ALL guided classes, ALL self-paced classes and all live chats.
Scroll down to see a gallery of ALL the classes
FALL 2018 SPECIAL PROGRAM:
Included in Yearlong Membership – or Purchase as an Individual Program
For Pedal & Lever Harps in 3 Levels: Fledgling ~ Intermediate ~ Advanced
Get ALL these classes in your Year-long Membership
NEW IN 2019!
If you’re new to “Hip Harp Academy,” scroll up to see the year-long curriculum that comes with membership. We’re now ADDING the following immersion classes in addition to the standard year-long curriculum. Each one of them unlocks a specialized part of the larger classes, give you special skills to help you apply what you learn. If you’re a returning student, these new immersions will help you apply and expand everything in the year-long curriculum – so you can take your playing to the next level.
Each 3-Hour class provides a focused set of skills to enhance the Academy Programs.
You can attend these 3-Hour Sessions live, or learn at your own pace – or both.
Below are the currently-scheduled live session dates for the first four Immersion sessions.
(Note: Opening dates are subject to change)
Refresh your browser page to see the updated classes and programs!
Sing & Play Harp: 3-Chord Magic!
This Immersion Class is available NOW to take At-Your-Own-Pace. Register and jump right into it.
Register as a stand-alone Class or get 3-Chord Magic with your full Yearlong Membership
In partnership with Somerset Harp Festival, “Instant Ensemble” gives you five ensemble pieces that you can play with other people to create an instant harp ensemble – or mixed instrument ensemble.
More info to come – always refresh your browser to see the most updated info.
“Instant Ensemble” is scheduled to start July 1, 2019 and will run in conjunction with my all-day live “Instant Ensemble” workshop at Somerset 2019 Harp Festival in New Jersey, USA.
Here’s what students of all levels say about DHC’s online learning
“This was the single most important musical course I have ever done in years of learning harp, and I would recommend it to anyone at any musical level.
The course was absolutely jam-packed with incredible information, carefully structured so anyone at any level can work with the concepts … and the concepts I learned have become integral to my harping experience, like a kind of ‘harping code’.“
With this one course, Deborah gave me all the tools I needed for arranging music.” -BLYTHE TAIT (Australia)
“As an adult beginner on harp, I thought your “New Blues” was way too hard for me, but after I took ‘New Blues Beyond the Page’ I realized I CAN PLAY IT!”
– KATHY KING (U.S.A.)
“My sheet music has always been my safety net, and I couldn’t imagine myself to perform anything by memory. But when you broke Baroque Flamenco down into small pieces, it all felt so simple. I felt so safe. Thank you so much for making me do something that I thought was impossible.”
– ANNETTE SOLLIE HAGEN (Norway)
Invest in Your Creative Freedom
A Full YEAR of Academy Classes & Community
Including ALL Full-Level Courses Above
Take Your Creative Expression to the Next Level
ONLY the FIRST 25 PEOPLE WHO SIGN UP!!! (only 3 left!)
BONUS ENROLLMENT in my first ever 4-Week “Jazz for Harps” Beta program. This brand new 4-Week “JAZZ for HARPS” Beta program is normally only open to Hip Harp Academy FULL Yearlong Members – so jump in on this bonus now! This is a chance to take everything you learn in “Blues Harp-Style” and learn how to apply it to jazz tunes.
16+ CLASSES IN ARRANGEMENT, IMPROV, PERFORMANCE & MINDSET: a yearlong support & challenge to help you create new REPERTOIRE, TOOLS, SKILLS & INSPIRATION throughout the year. This includes classes you can access at any time 24/7, or you can follow a schedule of GUIDED classes (see the list below) – all audio & PDFs are downloadable to add to your personal training library.
LIVE ONLINE CHATS, FACEBOOK COMMUNITY You get to ask the questions YOU have, and DHC personally answers them in the CHATS, which you can attend live or watch the replays which you can watch over and over; You also get to connect with a Facebook Community of supportive creative colleagues throughout the world — from dedicated, impassioned amateurs to professionals who know they want to keep expanding their expression.
YOUR TEACHER – YOUR CLASSMATES – YOUR COMMUNITY – You have several ways to get direct answers, input or feedback on your questions and your work, through the “Ask a Question” page, live online chats – and through the assignments and project you get DHC written or video feedback on how to implement, where to go next, how to simplify or embellish.
A MASTER TEACHER, your coach, teacher & mentor is creative artist, like you. She’s searching, growing, learning like you. Like you, she has creative challenges and, like you, she reaches out to her own master coaches to get answers … and then brings what she learns back to you, along with her own knowledge. A Grammy-Nominated, international touring artist who values your questions and insights in creating the next steps for your personal creative journal.
Academy Membership Includes Access to All "FULL-LEVEL" Classes for a full year (Click to open)
HERE’S WHAT’S YOU GET WITH YOUR “FULL” MEMBERSHIP
This is the training I wish I’d had when my harp journey began. It took me years to learn each of these concepts that I’ve now distilled into the programs in this course. The Academy is like a creative university in the art of developing as a musician.
A. Ongoing courses to give you new REPERTOIRE, TOOLS and INSPIRATION throughout year
Take all the courses in this YEAR-LONG CURRICULUM – or just take the ones you want. Each new course is a new beginning, so you can’t fall behind. You’re always right on time.
I guide you through the curriculum with weekly LIVE VIRTUAL Q&A chats (available via replay if you can’t make it live), virtual retreats and project.
YOU GET 24/7 ACCESS TO THESE FOUNDATIONAL CLASSES that liberate you from the page and into an ever greater world of creative expression
- Hip Harp Toolkit (including “Arrange Yourself”): – This is the Academy’s foundational 8-week ARRANGEMENT program that teaches you to create impromptu arrangements from any simple tune. This is the most powerful skill you can have for developing repertoire, expanding or simplifying pieces and gaining an understanding of the “DHC Method” of spontaneous arrangement. This course also gives you the foundation of basic jazz arrangement structure, but without the complexity of jazz harmonies or rhythms – so it’s an important prerequisite for any jazz harp training, as well as a powerful tool for creating meditative arrangements. ($797when purchased separately)
- “Strings of Passion”: This is the foundational MINDSET course of Hip Harp Academy: a 10-Week creative expression course that takes you on a journey to the center of your creative expression. You’ll develop your own daily creative practice with prompts, meditations and a workbook full of creative exercises. Most importantly you’ll have guidance and the chance to show your work and ask question. ($997when purchased separately)
- “Blues Harp-Style”: Learn a low-down Blues, a Boogie-Woogie Bassline and even a slow and sweet blues you can play in therapeutic situations. This is a great program for building a repertoire of fun tunes and learning to jam with others. It’s also a great course for harp ensembles ($597 when purchased separately)
- “Blues by the Dozen” (“At Your Own Pace”): A 12-day Blues Challenge to play a new Blues Melody each day and post your rendition by the next morning, using the techniques you learned in “Blues HarpStyle” ($297 Value)
- “Sing and Play the Harp” (description to come – but, as you might imagine – you learn the basics of how to sing and play the harp — at the same time!)
- “Summer Harp Jam”: In this fun, light summer program you’ll learn to jam alone or with others in this playalong virtual Summer Camp for Harpists – no homework, no stress – this is all about having fun and playing along in the moment (this is also a GREAT program for people who want to start playing with loopers. Many of the jams you’ll learn in the course can be used with a looper pedal). ($579 when purchased separately)
- “Hands on Harmony” (Available year-round for self-paced learning): This essential course is always available for “at your own pace” learning because it gives you a theory and harmony foundation specifically for HARP – with hands-on exercises that get the harmony directly into your fingers. Once or twice a year I run a virtual retreat where we go through it all together, and you can ask questions when I’m there live to answer them. ($297 when purchased separately)
- ‘Baroque Flamenco’ Beyond the Page”: You’ll learn to play one of the pieces that won me a Grammy Nomination – and take it beyond the page so you can play it as a fiery showpiece or a contemplative fantasia at your own level – simplified for fledglings – or all the bells and whistles for advanced. ($497 when purchased separately)
- “‘New Blues’ Beyond the Page”: Learn to make your own arrangement of one of my most popular tunes so you can add everything you learned in “Blues Harp-Style!” ($197 Value – not currenty available outside the yearlong Academy curriculum)
- “‘The Nightingale’ Beyond the Page”: A brand new program that breaks down my most requested piece so that you can easily memorize it, simplify it and see where you can build in your own improvisation ($147 Value – not currenly available outside the yearlong Academy curriculum)
- Always Available in the Academy FULL Level: Quick-Technique Courses like “Loopers” and “Amplification,” an all-day Virtual “Hands on Harmony” retreat plus shorter “Beyond the Page” courses and challenges.
COMING in SUMMER 2019:
- Tell Your Story with Music – Whether you’re playing a professional concert, entertaining friends and family, or playing at bedside, knowing how to creatively combine story and music is a skill that creates intimacy and variety in a way no amount of fancy repertoire can. In this class, which is included in the “Strings of Passion” package, you use writing prompts to develop stories of your own life and experience, and then combine them with music. (This class is also included in the “Strings of Passion” package)
- Instant Ensemble – Have you ever wanted to quickly put togehter an ensemble, or have a musical ‘game’ you could play with friends, familes – or audiences? “Instant Ensemble” teaches you 3 fun pieces you can easily put together with other musicians – and non-musicians. But it doesn’t stop there. This program also teaches you how to teach these ensembles to people, so you can create the experience of Instant Ensemble for others. (This class is also included in the “Somerset 2019” package when you sign up for my full-day Live Immersion program at Somerset 2019)
B. Resources to CONNECT and EMPOWER you
- Blueprints, Cheat-sheets & Playsheets like the “Arrange-o-Matic” and “Left Hand Pattern CheatSheet” (Value $397)
- “Innerplay” mindset mini-Course (Value $97)
- “Creating Conducive Conditions” mini-course to help you make the most of your practice time. (Value $97)
C. MEMBERSHIP in a powerful international CREATIVE COMMUNITY
Through the private Academy Facebook Group you’ll connect with impassioned harp players from all around the world (Value $497)
D. Your chance to work with a legendary MASTER TEACHER in the harp world
You get to work directly with a Grammy-Nominated creative innovator, a master teacher, performer, composer and arranger who plays YOUR INSTRUMENT and can help you develop YOUR personal style of harp playing through the “DHC Method” and the full Hip Harp Curriculum. (Value – Incalculable)
TOTAL VALUE of all classes is $5,750. But when you register for the Academy you get access to ALL for $1295 $997
ARE YOU RENEWING?
If you’ve been in the Academy for at least one year & you’re renewing, use this order form to RENEW with your discount code and put your renewal discount code in the Promo Code field. You’ll be able to choose to pay in full or a payment plan. Renewal also gives you ‘Elite’ status with extra Elite-Only chats.
If you didn’t get a renewal discount code in the mail (or lost it), use the “Ask a Question” form to let us know and ask us to send it to you.
I can’t wait to spend another year with you!!
ARE YOU UPGRADING?
If you’re upgrading from “Jazz for Harps,” “Building the Bones,” or another program and you have an upgrade code, use this order form to upgrade — the standard form above won’t take your code.
Don’t have an upgrade code? If you’re already in a single class and you want to upgrade to the Full Yearlong Academy – but haven’t gotten an Upgrade code, use the Ask a Question Form form to ask if there’s a special code discount for your specific class. I look forward to spending the year with you!!
Hip Harp Academy Full Yearlong Membership includes over a dozen classes, including Hip Harp Toolkit / Arrange Yourself, Jazz for Harps, Blues Harp-Style, Summer Harp Jam, Strings of Passion, Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page PLUS any bonuses offered for individual classes. If you have questions about how it works, just email using my Ask a Question Form.
JOIN NOW & lock in your price!
When you join now your price is locked-in
for as long as you remain a member
It’s time to take what you already know …
and express yourSELF with it!
What if this is the beginning of the greatest creative adventure of your lifetime?
What if I told you that you already have what you need to express yourself fully with your instrument – no matter what level – and you can start right now?”
It has to do with letting GO of what you think you need to do and learn the concepts, skills and mindset to set yourself – and your instrument FREE. You’ve worked hard to get your instrument and learn everything you’ve already learned. It’s finally time to put everything you’ve learned – and everything you are – into full expression! I will show you how in the Hip Harp Academy.
I’m Deborah Henson-Conant and I’ve created the Hip Harp Academy just for YOU, the creative harp player – whether you’re a dedicated, impassioned amateur from fledgling to advanced – or a professional who longs to liberate yourself from the notes on the page.
I’ve spent my life committed to creating to empowering our worldwide harp community – from amateurs to professionals by creating new concert works, concertos and chamber music for the harp – and to collaborating with CAMAC Harps in the creation of a new HARP — the “DHC” electric harp (yes! named after me!)
As Featured In:
How long is the Hip Harp Academy?
You can join the Academy any time and get 24/7 access to all the learning modules to learn at your own page BUT we recommend starting when the guided courses begin, which happens several times throughout the year. That means you’ll be able to ask questions about the modules during the chats that take place only when guided classes are being run.
What if I’m not Tech-Savvy … or a downright Technophobe??
Most course modules are provided in 4 formats including ‘lower-tech’ versions (audio files and PDFs) that you can download to your own computer so you don’t need to use interactive software like streaming.
- Video: Streaming Video
- Audio: Downloadable Audio versions of the videos
- OnScreen Content: On-Screen Text & Images
- PDFs: Many classes also include a downloadable PDF version of the text & images that are on the screen. Some include simpified cheat-sheets, overviews or playsheets instead.
One of the things technophobes (like I was!) love about my courses is that they become so more web-and-tech savvy just by taking the course. If you’re taking the VIP add-on, and submitting videos for me to give feedback on, we even have a short video tutorial to help you learn to create videos, submit them to YouTube and keep them out of the public eye!
Do I have to do homework?
Are ALL the courses already available right now? If I wanted to hunker down and take them all in the first month could I do that?
What Courses are actually included in the Academy?
- Hip Harp Toolkit (“Arrange Yourself”) – Learn all the basics of impromptu arrangement so you can take any basic tune and create a spontaneous arrangement (includes focus on therapeutic arrangements) (Learn more at the “Hip Harp Toolkit” Info Page)
- Hands on Harmony – Get a theory and harmony foundation from a harpist’s perspective! (Learn more at the “Hands on Harmony” Info Page.
- Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page – Learn to play this expressive piece either as a fiery showpiece or a comtemplative fantasia
- Summer Harp Jam – Learn some of the simplest, most useful and most fun tiny improvisation forms that you can add as intros, endings and interludes in any piece — or turn into a full improvisation or jam. (Learn more at the “Summer Harp Jam” Info Page)
- Blues HarpStyle – learn to play one of the most fun, expressive forms of music for solo playing – or playing with others
- New Blues Beyond the Page – this is a brand new course I created just for students in the Academy as a companion to “Blues HarpStyle” (so there’s no public info page). You’ll learn a simplified version of my composition “New Blues” – and how to add all the tricks you learned in “Blues Harp-Style”
- Strings of Passion – this is a brand new program I’m developing in 2017 and everyone in the Academy will have the chance to participate in the debut Beta program, though it may be moved out of the Academy later on – so if you want to get it for free, make sure to sign up for “Hip Harp Academy” now.
- Additional “Beyond the Page” mini-courses
- Blueprints, Cheat-sheets & Playsheets like the “Arrange-o-Matic” and “Left Hand Pattern CheatSheet”
- An “Innerplay” mindset course
- New One-hour Mini-Courses throughout the year
- Fun arrangement and performance challenges after each course ends, to help implement and share what you’ve learned
- Access to a powerful international community of impassioned learners and players
MY GOAL is to give you everything I can to help you learn and implement the ‘DHC Method” so you can express yourSELF with your instrument at whatever technical level you’re at right now and be able to adapt to both changing environments and to your own developing abilitiies
When are the courses available and for how long?
In addition to being able to go through the courses at your own pace whenever you want, I will ALSO be running “Interactive” versions of each course on a schedule throughout the year. Once you’re in the Academy, you can choose either option – or both – whatever makes the learning work for you.
How do the “levels” of the Academy work?
The Academy is a Yearlong Membership program with THREE LEVELS
- FREE LEVEL includes fun resources everyone can enjoy (and you can stay in FREE LEVEL as long as you like – whether you renew your other membership levels or not)
- FULL LEVEL includes ALL the online courses you see on this page. When you join at FULL level, you can take any of the courses at your own pace any time OR join the guided interactive versions of the courses OR do BOTH.
- HARNESS YOUR MUSE – if you’re ready to develop a new project, like an album, a concert, a show (or are having trouble completing one you started), or work with a new kind of ensemble – like a trio, or ensemble – or if you want to work on career development you can apply for the “Harness Your Muse” mentorship project. Read more and apply here.
Is there any way to see inside the Academy to get an idea how it’s set up?
What if I live in a timezone that makes it difficult for me to attend ‘live’ events? Will they be videotaped for replay?
- The TRAINING MODULES are all already all videotaped, and we’re just transferring them to the new classroom now (but there’s a lot of content so we’re doing it class by class)
- Any LIVE CHATS and EVENTS will be videotaped (barring major equipment gremlins) — and the replays will be available to everyone who has FULL membership. For people who want to ask questions but can’t make the live chats, you’ll be able to submit your questions in advance via the “Ask a Question” form
Exactly what is the cost and does any discount come AFTER the $997 yearly membership or does that price include the discount.
If I join the Academy with a discount, can I rejoin in following years at the same discounted price?
Can I apply a discount to upgrades in following years?
ANSWER: Great question! Discounts only apply to FULL and VIP – and only what you invest in now. So if you’re interested in VIP, this is the time to lock that in, because that discounted price gets locked in if you decide to do VIP again the following year, and it will stay locked in as long as you continue to renew in consecutive years
Do you provide payment plans?
Can I get a Refund?
REGISTRATION for FALL 2017 GUIDED SESSION IS CLOSED
The Academy is Currently open for At-Your-Own-Pace Learning Only
Current Guided Program, 10-Week “Hip Harp Toolkit” is currently in Session.
If you missed registration for the Guided Session,
you can join the Academy for Self-Paced Learning
or join the First-to-Know list by downloading my Freebies.
REGISTRATION ENDS MIDNIGHT JAN. 24