15 Fantasies On Carols From Around The World
Improvised by Deborah Henson-Conant on Harp
Listen to short Excerpts
(if you only see a few excerpts in the play-widget below, it’s because Soundcloud is filling in the clips)
Fun Facts about this Album
- This is my best friend’s all-time favorite album of mine
- Last year I posted a blog on how to gift ‘The Gift’ as a download – https://www.hipharp.com/blog/14839
- The entire album is completely improvised (so please don’t ask for the harp manuscript!) – based on the basic melodies of these tunes and weeks of playing around with them in my studio.
- Many of these carols I’ve known for years – but some were completely new to me.
- This was recorded all on solo harp, no overdubs. I recorded it before I’d transitioned to the lever harp, so it’s all played on a classic concert harp – but it doesn’t all sound Classical by a long shot
- After recording this album, I created symphonic versions of some of these arrangements that I’ve played in Holiday Programs with ensembles from community orchestras to professional symphonies like the St. Louis Symphony.
- My original impulse was to see how much fun I could have with holiday tunes. I surprised myself by how much fun I was having and, in the middle of the project, decided to challenge myself by reharmonizing my – ’til then – least-favorite carol, “O Tannenbaum” (“Oh Christmas Tree”) The result? I completely fell in love with the tune.
- The cover design was a mandala I created one day when I sat down and decided I would try to learn to draw mandalas. It may be one of the simplest mandalas ever created – kind of like a haiku mandala
- This album was recorded in 1995
- I’d LOVE your comments below so please do leave some!