Liberate Yourself from the Notes on the Page
JOIN me in a NEW 2018 “Jazz for Harps” Summer Experience
A 12-Week Program
(for Pedal & Lever Harp)
3 Levels: Fledgling, Intermediate & Advanced
Jazz is not a ‘style’ of music – it’s a way of thinking,
and I want to share it with YOU this summer!
There are 4 Quadrants to learning Jazz
There are 4 Quadrants to Learning Jazz
This summer you’ll develop all 4 quadrants through “Jazz for Harps”:
- Harmony – Jazz musicians are constantly expanding and altering chords. “Hands on Harmony” shows you how and gives you exercises for learning this skill, that you will use forever to both play and understand music.
- Rhythm – Instead of painstakingly reading rhythms, “Jazz Harp Warmups” combines fundamental rhythms and chord progressions so you can warm up with them every day, and get them into your bones!
- The Roadmaps of the Tunes – In “Inside Jazz Tunes” you learn the foundational concept of the “Roadmap” that is at the heart of every single jazz tune, and that makes it possible for jazz players to play for hours from one single “chart”.
- Improvisation – At the heart of all jazz is the ability to improvise. “Summer Harp Jam” breaks the art of improvisation down to the fun part by using loads of “call and response” play-alongs to take you out of your head and right into your HARP!
You will learn ALL of these in “Jazz for Harps” this Summer!
Got other things you’re doing this summer?
No worries! “Jazz for Harps” is a flexible program
that fits with your schedule
Here’s How the Program Works
Schedule & Class Info
It’s a 12-Week Program — like a virtual Summer Music Camp for Harp Players — with FOUR quadrants that work together to give you a 360° jazz learning experience. It’s a very flexible program that gives you 24/7 access to all the training and 6 months access to all the material, so if you have travels scheduled for the summer, you won’t ‘miss’ any part of the program. The one live/scheduled part of the program is the weekly chats, and if they aren’t convenient for you, you can send any questions you have in advance and then get the answers via replay.
Here’s how the training works:
1. “JAZZ HARP WARMUPS” open the day after Memorial Day and continue throughout the summer, expanding as you expand. They build and support your internal sense of rhythm, your comfort-level with playing rhythms and your ability to coordinate rhythm with chord progressions and melodies. Each warmup is provided on 3 levels – Fledgling, Intermediate & Advanced – so you can strengthen your playing on your level.
2. “HANDS ON HARMONY” is available as soon as you register. It gives you the fundamentals of harmony as they work in jazz – and this part of the program includes a series of video trainings that take you – at your own pace – through the 3 Pillars of Jazz Harmony: Extension, Alteration & Substitution. This series of video trainings and ‘harmony playing routines’ is available 24/7 throughout the summer to use both in BUILDING your harmony ability – and as a harmony reference. To give you even more support there’s a live virtual “Hands on Harmony” retreat on Saturday June 9 which you can attend live or via replay.
3. “INSIDE JAZZ TUNES” starts June 12 and takes you inside the tunes of the standard jazz repertoire, section by section, so you learn how to approach playing the roadmap of each tune, and how to apply the rhythms and harmony you learn in the Warmups and “Hands on Harmony.” This “Roadmap” is actually a creative “Treasure Map” that unlocks the riches of each tune. It’s the heart of any jazz tune, and the key to how jazz musicians can play for as long as they want from a single page of music.
- Fledgling players learn how to read from a chord chart, adding simple rhythms and improvisation.
- Intermediate players learn to expand that by extending the harmonies and adding more improv and rhythm.
- Advanced players learn to also alter and substitute chords and have the option to explore how to apply these skills to additional tunes. All 3 levels are available to all students, so while you focus on playing at YOUR level, you can access the other levels either for review or inspiration!
4. “SUMMER HARP JAM” starts the 3rd week in JULY. This program focuses on play-along videos to get the art of improvisation deep into your hands. Traditionally, jazz improvisation is learned best by simply PLAYING WITH OTHERS – so I built Summer Harp Jam as an opportunity to get out of your head and to really PLAY. Each week focuses on a different progression – a series of chords you’ll see in a jazz tune – and on the many ways to improvise on it.
You Work at YOUR Level
Attend Online Chats Live or Via Replay (or both!)
You Get Extended Access
You Get Personalized Input
- WEEKLY CHATS: The weekly chats extend through the whole summer. You can attend live, or via replay. There’s a live online chat almost every weekend except when I’m on tour to a location without internet access. They’re usually on Sundays at 4:30 pm EST.
- FACEBOOK PAGE: Through the course Facebook Page you get to ask question, which I usually answer within 48 hours (and sometimes much, much faster) either by writing an answer – or sometimes by just jumping on with a Facebook Live to SHOW you the answer from the HARP.
- ASK A QUESTION FORM: There are times when the answer to one simple question will get you out of being stuck and into action – and this is when the “Ask a Question” form is incredibly helpful. Those questions come right to me, and I generally answer them within 48 hours – and sometimes within minutes.
Together these give you a 360° experience of how jazz harp works on harps.
What students say about Deborah Henson-Conant & Hip Harp Academy
Boosting my Confidence!
This course is helping to boost my confidence and I think this is directly related to exploring creativity through different activities…..and to help me take a fresh approach to practicing….to my relationship with my instruments….and to life in general. I love how the experience of each week builds…
There's no other harpist in the world like this ...
A sense of PLAY!
If I had only read about this course, I would have thought ‘I would love to take that some day when I’m good enough!’ … I’m so glad I took it now!
At the beginning, Deborah asked us what our personal goals were for the course. I said I wanted to have a sense of play with the harp. This has been the perfect course for me!”
Never in my wildest dreams ...
I’ve played harp for nearly 50 years. I have a strict classical background & never in my wildest dreams thought I could improvise. This makes it all come together in a way that I can relate to.
(Sally Walstrum, Las Vegas)
Invest in Your Creative Freedom
Join me for 12-Weeks of Creative Learning & Play
These FOUR quadrants of the program work TOGETHER to give you a 360° Jazz Learning Experience.
ONLY the FIRST 25 PEOPLE WHO SIGN UP!!! (only 3 left!)
BONUS ENROLLMENT in my first ever 4-Week “Jazz for Harps” Beta program. This brand new 4-Week “JAZZ for HARPS” Beta program is normally only open to Hip Harp Academy FULL Yearlong Members – so jump in on this bonus now! This is a chance to take everything you learn in “Blues Harp-Style” and learn how to apply it to jazz tunes.
By the end of the summer you’ll have a set of exercises to keep your rhythm and harmony in shape, a deeper understanding of harmony and theory, a jazzier repertoire and skills and tricks to help you play with others.
Purchase includes access to all online materials for 6 months plus download of all PDFs & MP3s from the class to add to your digital library.
TOTAL VALUE: $1559 YOU PAY: $897
Less than $75 a week world-class training you can’t get anywhere else on the planet – PLUS 6 months access for additional self-paced training and review.
Already a Current Member of Hip Harp Academy Full-Level?
If you’re NOT in the Academy and you want to make sure to get absolutely everything, including a full year of classes at Hip Harp Academy check out Hip Harp Academy Yearlong Membership Here or just register here. Hip Harp Academy Full Yearlong Membership includes “Jazz for Harps” PLUS over a dozen other classes, including Hip Harp Toolkit / Arrange Yourself, Strings of Passion, Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page PLUS any bonuses offered for single classes like this one. If you have questions about how it works, just email using my Ask a Question Form.
Turn your summer into a creative adventure
That will expand your musical freedom forever
About the creator of this program, Deborah Henson-Conant:
My name is Deborah Henson-Conant, I started playing the harp as young adult who didn’t read music, began with Classical music, but soon realized I needed more freedom – to improvise and express myself. I now play shows with symphonies and on solo stages with the electric harp that was created for me by CAMAC Harps, the “DHC Light”. (You can read about that in my recent TEDx talk)
When I first started harp, there were maybe a handful of jazz harp players in the whole world and none were around where I lived. So I started asking other instrumentalists to teach me how they did it, and from there I developed my own way of understanding jazz and I discovered that effectively learning jazz on the harp is completely different than learning it on any other instrument.
Which is why I have created a program specifically for teaching jazz to harp players.
When I first started to try to play jazz on the harp, I chose tunes I had no idea were complicated. I picked tunes I knew and I couldn’t play ‘em and so I thought I couldn’t play jazz.
Eventually I figured out that I was just choosing the wrong tunes — ones that had really bumpy roadmaps. I needed to start with tunes that were more smooth for the harp and then develop my ability to play more complicated things. And that’s why I created a “starter list” of jazz tunes for harpists so you don’t have to go thru that process I did.
So you can start developing a jazz repertoire more quickly – instead of spending 2 years trying to ace one really complicated tune and play it perfectly – because that is not what jazz is about.
In “Jazz for Harps” we start with the tunes I WISH I’d started with – ones from the Starter List. Because once I got it, jazz opened up the world to me.
Once I started figuring out which tunes were more comfortable, I started playing with a bass player, then drums and then created the “Jazz Harp Trio” started recording and playing all over Boston, New England – eventually the world.
And when my band broke up I could play with other players because I knew the repertoire — basically every player I played with became another teacher – because I hired great players – and they taught me how to play.
One day the president of a jazz label saw me on TV and offered me a contract with one of the top jazz labels in the world, GRP records – Dave Grusin’s label, and I became one of a very small group – maybe 2 or 3 – jazz harp players — who was touring internationally and recording on a major label – and by the way, I was the only woman instrumentalist on my label. So that was an incredible experience – because of jazz.
Eventually I started to integrate jazz with symphonic music, play with the Boston Pops – created concertos that other harpists now perform — all of this was based on my journey that STARTED with learning to play straight-ahead jazz tunes.
Because the principles and skills you learn in jazz will expand every part of your musical life. And that is why I love sharing what I’ve learned.
For me, jazz has given me the ability to improvise with people all over the world, to open for Ray Charles, to improvise with Bobby McFerrin, to read jazz charts, to create music with others. It all started with jazz.
Jazz is a way of thinking and playing that opens you up. And it starts with understanding the rhythms, the roadmaps of the tunes, the harmony, the improvisation.
And these are the four foundations of Jazz for Harps. This is the program that I was looking for when I started – and now I have the joy of getting to share it with you.
As Featured In:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: WHAT SOFTWARE DO I NEED FOR THE COURSE?
- Pre-Recorded Video Trainings
- MP3 versions of the trainings that you can download and listen to on your ipad, phone or computer
- A Live Online Q&A Session – which you can attend live or via replay- and if you’re not attending live you can submit your questions in advance and watch the answers later in the video replay.
So even if your tech-savvy only goes so far as knowing how to link to a webpage, watch YouTube and download a file, you’ll be able to get all the class information. The truth is, there’s always a bit of a learning curve unless you’ve taken online courses before — but many people have told me that my online courses have given them the added benefit of learning to navigate the web in new and empowering ways — and that makes me very happy!
Q. WILL I HAVE TO DO HOMEWORK?
Q. HOW MUCH TIME WILL I SPEND ON THE PROGRAM EACH WEEK?
Most people fall between those two extremes – and it’s totally fine how YOU want to use the program and how it fits into YOUR life right now. That’s also why you get access to the website for 6 months – so you can go back and review.
The most important thing you can do each week in any program of mine is to find one simple idea and put it directly into your playing at your level. If you do that ONE thing each week you’ll get more out of the program than reading and watching everything but not putting it into practice.
So if you don’t have much time one week, you can skim the videos, find your ‘nugget’ for the week, put it into practice and feel great that you’re getting something that will change your playing for the rest of your life!
Q. WHAT IF I CAN’T KEEP UP?
The first time through, if people feel they’re ‘falling behind,’ some just email me using the “Ask a Question” form and ask for coaching on how to catch up.
Since it’s never possible to get everything, ‘catching up’ is usually a matter of understanding that there are BASIC principles you can learn easily (and you can always ask me about them), principles you can practice in both your playing and your life. If you get the basic principle of each module and accept that it’s never possible to get everything, then you can move forward and have fun at the level you’re at with what you HAVE learned.
Q. DO YOU PROVIDE MUSIC TO GO WITH THE COURSE, OR DO I NEED TO PROVIDE MY OWN?
Q. HOW DOES IT WORK WITH THE DIFFERENT PLAYING LEVELS ALL IN ONE COURSE?
Q: CAN I GET A TASTE-TEST?? I’VE NEVER BEEN IN AN ONLINE COURSE - Is there a way to just see how it works?
Q: WHAT TIME IS THE CLASS? Will I have to get up in the middle of the night!
Q: WILL THE STYLE YOU’RE TEACHING BE ONLY 'JAZZY' OR CAN I ADAPT IT TO OTHER STYLES, LIKE THERAPEUTIC PLAYING?
I use Jazz concepts in many different ways myself: for traditional or standard jazz playing, in my original works – whether its solo works, with band, ensemble or symphony orchestra – and I also use jazz concepts for meditative styles of music.
That’s one of the greatest values of the LIVE component of the course. If your specific goal is to use the concepts in meditative or therapeutic music, then you can get as much input as you like about that by asking specific questions about it in the live online chats, the facebook group page and the “Ask a Question” form.
Q: MY INTERNET ISN’T GREAT. HOW MUCH OF THE PROGRAM IS VIDEO AND HOW MUCH IS LIVE STREAMING?
- The “training” part of the program – the part that’s always there when you get into the classroom – is embedded videos (plus PDF handouts, text and downloadable audio).
- For every video, there’s also a downloadable mp3 . That means you can get the mp3 right onto your computer and then avoiding worrying about internet at all.
- The LIVE weekly online Q&As or play-along events are all live-streamed. Usually only about 25-30% of the people actually come live. The rest prefer to wait until we post the replay, and either watch that online or just download the MP3 and play with that. I’m not sure if they do that because of their internet connection or just because they prefer to be able to stop and start the videos at their own pace.
Q: WHAT IF MY INTERNET IS OUT?
Q. DO YOU HAVE A PAYMENT PLAN?
Got more questions?
Got Questions? Use the “Ask a Question” form and I’ll get back to you ASAP.
Come and Play Your Heart Out
In this Virtual Summer Camp Just for Harp Players
“Summer Harp Jam” 2017 starts in July and is part of the “Hip Harp Academy” Curriculum. To register, sign up for “Hip Harp Academy” “FULL” OR Register for “Summer Harp Jam” a la carte
Join the FUN Now!
Summer Harp Jam 2018 Registration Opens Soon!
OPTION #1: Register for the FULL “Hip Harp Academy” Yearlong Membership
Sign up for the Full/Core ‘Hip Harp Academy’ Year-Long Curriculum. You’ll get full access to ‘Summer Harp Jam’ AND the full curriculum… over 10 different programs including “Hip Harp Toolkit / Arrange Yourself,” “Strings of Passion,” “Hands on Harmony,” “Blues Harp-Style” – you can see all the courses at HipHarpAcademy.com
For the full yearlong “Hip Harp Academy” Curriculum with over 10 guided courses INCLUDING “Summer Harp Jam”