This Chat & Zoom Info FAQ is for academy chats as well as for special events (Masterclasses, etc.) that aren’t officially part of the academy curriculum. This page should help you install Zoom, join a Zoom meeting, and solve some tech problems.
Zoom Chat Protocol
- Try to arrive 5-10 minutes in advance
- Turn off all other applications that connect to the web (like Skype, Facebook, etc.) to get the best connectivity
- Connect via ethernet, versus Wifi, if you can but most people can’t so don’t worry too much about this
- You will not have to speak or use your camera or headphones – but you may end up being SEEN if your camera is on – so beware! You’ll be watching the video and you’ll be able to ask questions using the chat function. On Zoom you may have the option to voice your questions but be prepared to type them out.
- I encourage you to bring your harp to the chat. We often have playalongs.
How to Join the Zoom Chat
This chat platform has several different options for joining a chat. If you’re in the academy and are trying to join a chat, you should find the link to the chat meeting room on the Chat Info page. If you’re attending a special event outside the academy, then you should get the exact links to that event in an email from us.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REGISTER FOR OUR ZOOM CHATS IN ORDER TO JOIN THEM
Watch this video tutorial about how to join a Zoom meeting if you are new to this platform. Since you don’t need to register for our zoom chats, please ignore the part about registering and just start at 0:10 where you click on the link to the meeting (provided at the top of the Chat Info page) and are prompted to download and run Zoom.
Other ways to join a Zoom meeting:
- Join via PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android from the link you get
- Join via iPhone one-tap (US Toll) using the phone number you get
- Join via telephone using the phone number you get
- International numbers available using the phone number you get
Margi’s Short Tutorial
Margi Miller, Academy Teaching Assistant, wrote this tutorial to help you use Zoom for academy chats:
To join the meeting click the link at the top of the Chat Info page. If clicking that link does not open the webinar automatically for you, you can use this method:
- Download Zoom Client for Meetings from the Download Center
- Install the application
- Open the Zoom application
- Click Join a Meeting
- Enter your name and email address if requested
- Click Join Webinar (or go back to the link we provided and try it again)
- If you receive a message that you are waiting for the host to start this webinar, it means that DHC has not yet started broadcasting the webinar yet. You have connected to Zoom and the webinar will start as soon as DHC starts broadcasting.
During the chat, here are some additional features that we may be using:
- Clicking on the audio settings will help if you are not hearing us correctly.
- Clicking on the CHAT box will bring up a side bar to write in questions/comments and read what others are saying.
- Clicking on Raise Hand ‘should’ be useful if your question is not getting answered in the chat (but realistically, DHC doesn’t always see this ‘raise hand’ – so it’s also good to just keep asking your question in the chat box, especially if lots of people are commenting or asking questions)
- If the chat screen takes up your full computer screen and you can’t navigate to other windows, go up to the very top of your screen to the bar titled “View” and click the little down arrow to the right of that word. Then click “Exit Full Screen” and the chat window will be minimized so you can navigate to other parts of your computer.
There are a limited number of spaces in the Zoom meeting room (i.e. 50). We’ve come CLOSE to that number in chats, but rarely exceeded it, so I don’t think you’ll get locked out, but to make sure, sign in early – and if you do get locked out, just let us know so we can adjust the meeting parameter for future chats. See you soon!
If you have technical problems during the chat, like the video is freezing or is choppy…
- Wait for 10-15 seconds to see if it improves.
- If it doesn’t, you can quit the program and log back in. That usually fixes 95% of the problems.
- Remember – we’re pushing the technology by having the level of interactivity we have, the number of people we have online, and by including images and music – so it’s not like watching television. The fidelity is usually much better on the replays, so if the connection isn’t working for you, you’ll be able to watch the replay.
- Don’t worry about getting EVERYTHING. Just try to get SOMETHING and write down your takeaways.
- To send questions to DHC in advance, use the “Ask a Question” form In the sidebar – but note that DHC needs to get those at least 24 hours in advance, or she probably won’t be able to answer them ’til the next week – so it’s great to just send your questions as soon as you have them.
- If you’re an academy member or part of a specific class, you will be able to download an audio version of the chat after we post the replay. So even if your streaming or video functionality isn’t great, you’ll still be able to have access to the material that’s in the chat.