Like many long-time career-artists, my work combines three areas: creating, performing and coaching others. I love sharing what I do – and the resources and MP3s on this page will give you a taste of what I share in my concerts, recordings and online harp academy.
The free harp resources are some of the materials that I find myself giving to students and coaching clients over and over, as foundations of our work together. I house all these free harp resources in the “Free” level of my online harp academy, “Hip Harp Academy” – so when you sign up for these you’ll get access to the free level of the Academy where you can download these resources, plus get access to my most current webinars and other free trainings. So enjoy!!
FREE Learning Resources for HARPISTS
HARP PLAYERS! You can get all these FREE learning resources from my HipHarp Academy vault:
- Left Hand Pattern Playsheet – to help you create LH accompaniments for melodies, singers and your own arrangements
- “81 Best Jazz Tunes for Harp” List – so you can choose the tunes that work best for your instrument
- “Basics of Amplification” Workshop Handout – to get you started on the basics of amplifying your harp
- Your Playsheet for Psyching out Jazz Chords – to help you build and decipher extended and altered chords
- Blues Harp ‘Riff of the Day'” 7-Day Training – to help you learn some of the most fun Blues Riffs and put them together in a short tune
- Webinar Replays – they live on the FREE level of the Academy for at least a week until they’re moved into the paid level of the Academy
- “HaRpy Birthday” Video Training on how to create a fantabulous impromptu “Happy Birthday”arrangement – so YOU can build your improv chops at the same time as you’re blowing people away with your fun and impressive “Happy Birthday” rendition
Here’s How it Works:
- All freebies are housed in the Free Level of my Hip Harp Academy membership site
- That means all future harp-learning freebies will be added to the same spot. No more searching for the tools you need!
- You also get a free subscription to my weekly-ish ezine with stories, adventures, sneak peeks and special offers
- The free level of “Hip Harp Academy” also includes free access to all my new webinar replays before they get moved up into the paid level of Hip Harp Academy
Here are just some of the resources you get
on the FREE Level of Hip Harp Academy
“Left-Hand Patterns for Harp” PDF Playsheet
Give your left hand a chance to shine with this playsheet that gives you nearly 20 left-hand patterns you can use with chord charts,lead sheets, folk songs or any music that has chords!
“Harpy Birthday” Free Mini-Training
This online mini-course gives you the foundation of how to create – and memorize – your own version of the “Happy Birthday” song – so you can play it any time, at the drop of a hat — PLUS build your improv chops, make people happy and have fun playing something that’s easy, impressive and full customizable. By that I mean that some birthdays are raucous – and some need to be tender – and you’ll be able to modify the way you play it based on the circumstances.
Blues Harp “Riff of the Day” 7-Day Mini-Training
This mini-course gives you some of the most fun Blues Riffs and walks you through putting them together in a short tune
“Coloring Pages” PDF Download
This is a brand-new project I’m working on and YOU get to be the first to try it out! These are a set of coloring pages featuring “Harp-Ladies” and “Bass-Guys” from one of my favorite artists, Ellen Lebow. I hired Ellen to make me fun images of harps that were part women – and basses that were part men – and I used them in my newsletters and on some of my sheet music.
I also collect vintage clipart borders. So I put the two ideas together to create a set of “Hip Harp Coloring Pages.” I hope they help you embody the spirit of play in your own life and that you’ll expand that spirit of play into the other classes & resources I share here in the Academy!
Jazz Harp Tune List – Your KEY to Jazz Standards on Harp
It’s a one-page chart, a worksheet, a playsheet, that outlines everything I wish I’d known when I started playing jazz on the harp: a list of about 75 standard tunes, their standard keys, their standard styles (Latin, Swing, Waltz), which ones are good starter-tunes, which are tasty challenges and which ones are really not worth it unless you’re Park Stickney (the harp world’s fastest jazz pedal shifter).
And now that I work with so many lever-harp players around the world through my online courses, I recently added some additional notes to show which ones are good choices to start with on the Lever harp.
Psyching Out Jazz Chords on Harp
This handout tells you what each chord symbol means and how they’re built.
Let’s get LOUD!
“Basics of Amplification” Playsheet PDF Download
Wanna know how to get loud? It’s back to basics with this easy-to-follow exceprt from my book “Gurl’s Guide to Amplification.”
This playsheet works for lever harp or pedal harp!