Featured Performer: Ruth Lee, UK
BRIEF BIO or DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU DO:
I love music both in performance and within films as music can always tell a story. I love creating, and try to use music to raise money for charity; so far around half-a-thousand pounds for the National Brain Appeal from charity concerts I have organised.
WHERE CAN WE FIND YOU ON SOCIAL MEDIA?
- Facebook Ruth Lee – Harpist
DESCRIBE THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE OF ‘BAROQUE FLAMENCO’ INCLUDING WHERE & WHEN IT WAS: Ruth Lee plays Deborah Henson-Conant’s ‘Baroque Flamenco’ – I’m playing Baroque Flamenco in March 2015 in my practise room at home. (Note: This video is currently unavailable, we’re working on getting back!)
HARPISTS: Do YOU play Baroque Flamenco?
... then I'd love to hear your story and see a video of how you play it. Use this form to share your story and a video from YouTube and I'll feature it in a blogpost like the ones you can link to below.
Do you WANT to play Baroque Flamenco?
The solo harp sheet music includes 3 levels: advanced beginner, intermediate & professional. Other versions include harp ensemble, piano/harp duo (piano reduction), concerto and upcoming chamber ensemble versions.
My online class "Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page" takes you through the piece step by step at all 3 levels, with videos of all the sections and special effects, breakdowns (to show you how the piece is put together) and a set of warmups to help you develop the rhythms.
Q & A
1. If you had to describe the experience of playing “Baroque Flamenco” in 5 words or less, what would they be?
Liberating, Exciting, Adrenaline, Joy
2. What do people say when you play this piece? Do you have favorite memories of people’s reactions to it?
“I didn’t know you could do that on the harp.” OR, “You got me dancing.” It is always great to see people smile. I have performed the piece at school concerts and was so pleased that afterwards people really wanted to know more about the harp and realised how powerful and diverse it is!People say 'You got me dancing!' when I play this piece #harp #BaroqueFlamenco Click To Tweet
3. What drew you to this piece – why did you choose to learn it??
I was entranced after watching a recording of my teacher Eleanor Turner play the piece. She was really enthusiastic and encouraged me to take the Baroque Flamenco Bootcamp. I hadn’t played the piece before the course, but had played and loved New Blues so couldn’t wait to start Baroque Flamenco.
4. What does this piece add to your repertoire (and/or your life) that you didn’t have before?
Now I get excited. I love the music and it has pushed me to be more physical and confident. I would never have dreamed of posting a video before embarking on the Baroque Flamenco journey! Moreover, I try to concentrate on the positives; begin to love imperfection and spontaneity. I have begun to improvise on the harp – even in public!I would never have dreamed of posting a video before embarking on the #BaroqueFlamenco journey! Click To Tweet
5. What would you tell someone else who’s thinking of learning this piece that you wish you’d known before you learned it?
Just go with it! Watch other people’s performances and if possible go on the Baroque Flamenco Bootcamp! DHC gives the most fantastic advice, and clears up any confusion!
6. What do you think you can get from working directly with the composer of the piece that you can’t get from the sheet music?
The heart of the piece; you only really understand the music after hearing it directly from the composer, getting their advice – their thoughts, ideas and process to reach the notes on the stave. The techniques seem incredibly accessible through the videos on the Bootcamp. I only wish I could work on the piece in person with DHC face to face!The techniques seem incredibly accessible through the videos in the #BaroqueFlamenco Beyond the Page Class #harp Click To Tweet
7. Anything else you want to say?
Thank-you for writing this piece. For those who haven’t learnt it yet- do it now!
If you play the harp ... Join DHC's Hip Harp Academy
Deborah Henson-Conant's "Hip Harp Academy" online learning community is open for self-paced learning yearlong. DHC personal guides each class in the Academy once a year. Access to each guided class is limited to students who register before the 2nd week of class. Registration for the Fall Guided course, "HIp Harp TOOLKIT" is currently closed.
"Play with Freedom"
Playalong Webinar for Harpist
NEW! This Summer
at “Hip Harp Academy”
“Summer Harp Jam” PLUS!
- See what's coming up here: EVENTS PAGE
- Watch my TEDx talk "Reinventing Freedom ... - a story told "from the Harp"
Hip Harp Academy for Harp Players
- Hip Harp Academy - Sign up for the Full Membership - LEARN MORE HERE
- Harness Your Muse - Yearlong Mentorship is open for Application - APPLY NOW
- Private Coaching - LEARN MORE HERE
Free Stuff for Harp Players
- Check out my Free Stuff page for MP3 downloads, Mini-Trainings for Harpists - and other things you can download for free DHC's FREE-Stuff Page