Featured Performer: Paola Testa, Italy
BRIEF BIO or DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU DO: Paola Testa is an Italian harpist, graduated from the Conservatory. She has won numerous awards in national and international competitions, recorded albums, and collaborated with symphony orchestras.
She’s harp teacher at a high school and she’s majoring in Musicology at the University of Tor Vergata in Rome.
DESCRIBE THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE OF ‘BAROQUE FLAMENCO’ INCLUDING WHERE & WHEN IT WAS: Paola Testa, Competition Performance, May 2015 at Catania (Sicilia)
HARPISTS: Do YOU play Baroque Flamenco?
... then I'd love to hear your story and see a video of how you play it. Use this form to share your story and a video from YouTube and I'll feature it in a blogpost like the ones you can link to below.
Do you WANT to play Baroque Flamenco?
The solo harp sheet music includes 3 levels: advanced beginner, intermediate & professional. Other versions include harp ensemble, piano/harp duo (piano reduction), concerto and upcoming chamber ensemble versions.
My online class "Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page" takes you through the piece step by step at all 3 levels, with videos of all the sections and special effects, breakdowns (to show you how the piece is put together) and a set of warmups to help you develop the rhythms.
Q & A
1. If you had to describe the experience of playing “Baroque Flamenco” in 5 words or less, what would they be?
Energy, strength, happiness, satisfaction.5 words to describe playing #BaroqueFlamenco? Energy. Strength. Happiness. Satisfaction. Click To Tweet
2. What do people say when you play this piece?
The public really likes this piece. The sentences that tell me often are:
“You have an impressive harpistic technique.”
” This piece is really difficult.”
“I’ve never heard anything like it on the harp.”
3. What drew you to this piece – why did you choose to learn it??
I listened to this piece on You Tube for the first time and I fell in love. So I decided to study it.
4. What does this piece add to your repertoire (and/or your life) that you didn’t have before?
I reinforced my technique of glissando with nails and percussion on the sounding board. In addition, instills in me huge satisfaction play it.
5. What would you tell someone else who’s thinking of learning this piece that you wish you’d known before you learned it?
I would say to study it because you can draw big technical advantages. This piece is complete, modern, new and always played with conviction.
6. What do you think you can get from working directly with the composer of the piece that you can’t get from the sheet music?
Having the opportunity to work with the composer is a real fortune. The composer knows the real essence of the piece which can help the performer to be able to play at their best.The composer knows the real essence of the piece #BaroqueFlamenco Click To Tweet
If you play the harp ... Join DHC's Hip Harp Academy
Deborah Henson-Conant's "Hip Harp Academy" online learning community is open for self-paced learning yearlong. DHC personal guides each class in the Academy once a year. Access to each guided class is limited to students who register before the 2nd week of class. Registration for the Fall Guided course, "HIp Harp TOOLKIT" is currently closed.
"Play with Freedom"
Playalong Webinar for Harpist
NEW! This Summer
at “Hip Harp Academy”
“Summer Harp Jam” PLUS!
- See what's coming up here: EVENTS PAGE
- Watch my TEDx talk "Reinventing Freedom ... - a story told "from the Harp"
Hip Harp Academy for Harp Players
- Hip Harp Academy - Sign up for the Full Membership - LEARN MORE HERE
- Harness Your Muse - Yearlong Mentorship is open for Application - APPLY NOW
- Private Coaching - LEARN MORE HERE
Free Stuff for Harp Players
- Check out my Free Stuff page for MP3 downloads, Mini-Trainings for Harpists - and other things you can download for free DHC's FREE-Stuff Page