Today’s featured performer: Lisa Tarabbia
BRIEF BIO or DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU DO: Lisa Tarabbia is a multitasking girl. She’s graduated in Harp and now studying to become a sound engineer. In the mean time she’s teaching music at a public school and harp at a private one. She performs in concerts and events as a soloist or in different ensemble. Music is not only her passion, music is her everything and playing the harp is her way of expressing it.
DESCRIBE THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE OF ‘BAROQUE FLAMENCO’ INCLUDING WHERE & WHEN IT WAS: Lisa Tarabbia plays “Baroque Flamenco” during the concert of the “Trio Sette Note” at the manifestation “L’…incanto di Lesa”. The Trio consists of two clarinets and one harp. The concert took place in Villa Lesa, a fraction of Lesa (in the province of Novara), near the Lake Maggiore in Italy on Tuesday 11 august 2015. The event was organized by the municipality of Lesa.
HARPISTS: Do YOU play Baroque Flamenco?
... then I'd love to hear your story and see a video of how you play it. Use this form to share your story and a video from YouTube and I'll feature it in a blogpost like the ones you can link to below.
Do you WANT to play Baroque Flamenco?
The solo harp sheet music includes 3 levels: advanced beginner, intermediate & professional. Other versions include harp ensemble, piano/harp duo (piano reduction), concerto and upcoming chamber ensemble versions.
My online class "Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page" takes you through the piece step by step at all 3 levels, with videos of all the sections and special effects, breakdowns (to show you how the piece is put together) and a set of warmups to help you develop the rhythms.
Q & A
1. If you had to describe the experience of playing “Baroque Flamenco” in 5 words or less, what would they be?
Happy. Passion. Liberating. Dreamy. Energy!
2. What do people say when you play this piece?
“I did not think that the harp could do this!”
“Until recently I thought that the harp was a ‘boring tool’ – Now I’m quiet! I will not say anymore!”
“It’s a beautiful piece! How do you find it?”
“It must be really difficult to play”
3. What drew you to this piece – why did you choose to learn it??
I was looking on YouTube for the new (at time, not anymore) Rainbow Harp by Salvi and I found Eleanor Turner playing this piece on the harp. I fell in love. So I searched for it and bought it.
4. What does this piece add to your repertoire (and/or your life) that you didn’t have before?
I reinforced my fingers with all those glissando! My calluses are stronger than ever! 🙂
I think I’ve learned to play not just with my fingers but with all my body.
5. What would you tell someone else who’s thinking of learning this piece that you wish you’d known before you learned it?
I think I would say that this song should be felt – you cannot play the notes as they are written, you must put something extra. Also, I would tell them not to lose heart because at first it may seem impossible, but every day that you study it improves.
6. What do you think you can get from working directly with the composer of the piece that you can’t get from the sheet music?
I think talking to the composer is the greatest help possible. At the end of the day it is she who wrote and imagined it, and who better than her can tell me what to improve. The sheet music is a help, but in songs like this, someone listening to you is much more useful.She wrote it - imagined it, so who better than her can tell me what to improve. #BaroqueFlamenco Click To Tweet
If you play the harp ... Join DHC's Hip Harp Academy
Deborah Henson-Conant's "Hip Harp Academy" online learning community is open for self-paced learning yearlong. DHC personal guides each class in the Academy once a year. Access to each guided class is limited to students who register before the 2nd week of class. Registration for the Fall Guided course, "HIp Harp TOOLKIT" is currently closed.
"Play with Freedom"
Playalong Webinar for Harpist
NEW! This Summer
at “Hip Harp Academy”
“Summer Harp Jam” PLUS!
- See what's coming up here: EVENTS PAGE
- Watch my TEDx talk "Reinventing Freedom ... - a story told "from the Harp"
Hip Harp Academy for Harp Players
- Hip Harp Academy - Sign up for the Full Membership - LEARN MORE HERE
- Harness Your Muse - Yearlong Mentorship is open for Application - APPLY NOW
- Private Coaching - LEARN MORE HERE
Free Stuff for Harp Players
- Check out my Free Stuff page for MP3 downloads, Mini-Trainings for Harpists - and other things you can download for free DHC's FREE-Stuff Page