Featured Performer: Elodie Baile, Avignon, France
BRIEF BIO or DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU DO:
During my musical studies I had the chance to be invited in Aspen Music Festival in Colorado (teachers Nancy Allen and Deborah Hoffman), won the first prize from Rovere d’Oro International competition in Italy for young talent, first prize from Le Parnasse Salvi harp competition in Paris, and first prize of the International Cannes Water Symposium.
After that I entered the Erasmushogeschool Brussel in Belgium where I passed my Master 2 of music, speciality harp in Jana Boukova’s class. I played during 2 years with the Sonderjyllands Symphoniorkester in Denmark, as well in the Lille National Orchestra, the Czech National Symphony Orchestra, and the Opera of Nice in France. When I had the opportunity to play on “Stars de Demain”, I really wanted to play my favorite piece of music : Baroque-Flamenco by Deborah Henson-Conant.
While I am teaching the harp in Saint-Saturnin les Avignon in France, I would love to do concerts in other countries and would like to find a manager who would coach me.
DESCRIBE THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE OF ‘BAROQUE FLAMENCO’ INCLUDING WHERE & WHEN IT WAS: I sent a video to Rolando Villazon who made a selected it among other videos for a TV program called “Stars de Demain”. I have been invited to play in Berlin, Germany in the Arte studio with 3 other musicians. The video can also been seen on the Arte website. The video was produced on February, 14, 2016.
HARPISTS: Do YOU play Baroque Flamenco?
... then I'd love to hear your story and see a video of how you play it. Use this form to share your story and a video from YouTube and I'll feature it in a blogpost like the ones you can link to below.
Do you WANT to play Baroque Flamenco?
The solo harp sheet music includes 3 levels: advanced beginner, intermediate & professional. Other versions include harp ensemble, piano/harp duo (piano reduction), concerto and upcoming chamber ensemble versions.
My online class "Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page" takes you through the piece step by step at all 3 levels, with videos of all the sections and special effects, breakdowns (to show you how the piece is put together) and a set of warmups to help you develop the rhythms.
Q & A
1. If you had to describe the experience of playing “Baroque Flamenco” in 5 words or less, what would they be?
Craziness, sensitivity, séduction, contrasts, and fantasy (all I like).5 words describe playing #BaroqueFlamenco: Craziness. Sensitivity. Séduction. Contrasts. Fantasy. Click To Tweet
2. What do people say when you play this piece?
People feel a lot of different emotions : some cry, which is for me a huge present!
Others tell me that I have a strong personality, but I really think this is due to this wonderful piece of music. Some people are amazed to see all the different ways the harp can be played!
3. What drew you to this piece – why did you choose to learn it??
I saw the video on YouTube from Deborah Henson-Conant and I was so amazed by this fantastic piece that I really wanted to play it.
4. What does this piece add to your repertoire (and/or your life) that you didn’t have before?
I wanted to enlarge my musical repertoire, basically only classical until now, and I was looking for different styles of music.I wanted to enlarge my repertoire, was looking for different musical styles besides classical #BaroqueFlamenco Click To Tweet
5. What would you tell someone else who’s thinking of learning this piece that you wish you’d known before you learned it?
Try to play it with dreads 😉
6. What do you think you can get from working directly with the composer of the piece that you can’t get from the sheet music?
I would love to meet the composer to know more about her personality and understand the piece even more.
7. Anything else you want to say?
Arriba!!!! Deborah, I love you!!!
If you play the harp ... Join DHC's Hip Harp Academy
Deborah Henson-Conant's "Hip Harp Academy" online learning community is open for self-paced learning yearlong. DHC personal guides each class in the Academy once a year. Access to each guided class is limited to students who register before the 2nd week of class. Registration for the Fall Guided course, "HIp Harp TOOLKIT" is currently closed.
"Play with Freedom"
Playalong Webinar for Harpist
NEW! This Summer
at “Hip Harp Academy”
“Summer Harp Jam” PLUS!
- See what's coming up here: EVENTS PAGE
- Watch my TEDx talk "Reinventing Freedom ... - a story told "from the Harp"
Hip Harp Academy for Harp Players
- Hip Harp Academy - Sign up for the Full Membership - LEARN MORE HERE
- Harness Your Muse - Yearlong Mentorship is open for Application - APPLY NOW
- Private Coaching - LEARN MORE HERE
Free Stuff for Harp Players
- Check out my Free Stuff page for MP3 downloads, Mini-Trainings for Harpists - and other things you can download for free DHC's FREE-Stuff Page