Featured Performer: Ronja Ehrbar
NAME & WEBSITE:
BRIEF BIO or DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU DO:
My name is Ronja, I´m 9 years old and I’ve play harp since I was 6. When I was 5 years old I saw a picture of an angel with an harp in a book of my grandma’s and I was really fascinated! I bugged my parents until they agreed to search for a harp teacher.
Because I´m a very passionately harpist, the Baroque Flamenco is one of my favourite songs to play on my harp. After I first learned version 1, I learned version 2 last year. My listeners love this song! This year my teacher, Sonja Jahn, wants to show me version 3! I´m very excited, because this version is my favorite song for harps at all!!!
DESCRIBE THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE OF ‘BAROQUE FLAMENCO’ INCLUDING WHERE & WHEN IT WAS: Ronja at the Young Musicians Award Ceremony in Borken on 9 March 2014, with the Baroque Flamenco Version 2 by Deborah Henson-Conant.
HARPISTS: Do YOU play Baroque Flamenco?
... then I'd love to hear your story and see a video of how you play it. Use this form to share your story and a video from YouTube and I'll feature it in a blogpost like the ones you can link to below.
Do you WANT to play Baroque Flamenco?
The solo harp sheet music includes 3 levels: advanced beginner, intermediate & professional. Other versions include harp ensemble, piano/harp duo (piano reduction), concerto and upcoming chamber ensemble versions.
My online class "Baroque Flamenco Beyond the Page" takes you through the piece step by step at all 3 levels, with videos of all the sections and special effects, breakdowns (to show you how the piece is put together) and a set of warmups to help you develop the rhythms.
Q & A
1. If you had to describe the experience of playing “Baroque Flamenco” in 5 words or less, what would they be?
Explosive, passionate, wonderful!
2. What do people say when you play this piece? Do you have favorite memories of people’s reactions to it?
The listeners are always amazed because they did not expect such a music of a harp. Often they even have tears in their eyes and speak to me after shows.Often they even have tears in their eyes and speak to me after shows #BaroqueFlamenco Click To Tweet
3. What drew you to this piece – why did you choose to learn it??
I like to play fast harp pieces. The rhythmic pounding on the harp was just very difficult for me, but now I think it’s totally great. It’s just such a diverse and emotional piece that has fascinated me from the beginning.
4. What does this piece add to your repertoire (and/or your life) that you didn’t have before?
It’s just a very special harp piece. I think it will accompany me all my lifeIt's just a very special harp piece. I think it will accompany me all my life. #BaroqueFlamenco #Harp Click To Tweet
5. What would you tell someone else who’s thinking of learning this piece that you wish you’d known before you learned it?
You Dare! You will not regret it. Your audience will be delighted. But also pass on some passages good care of your fingertips! I sometimes rubbed me at the beginning of the fingertips.
6. What do you think you can get from working directly with the composer of the piece that you can’t get from the sheet music?
It would be a huge honor for me to be working with Deborah Henson-Conant! She is a great role model for me. She is just cool and not so stuffy like some harpist. I think she could give me even better, what feelings she has when writing the pieces and when playing them. She could certainly give me quite a lot of improvement tips.You Dare! You will not regret it. ~Ronja #BaroqueFlamenco #Harp Click To Tweet
If you play the harp ... Join DHC's Hip Harp Academy
Deborah Henson-Conant's "Hip Harp Academy" online learning community is open for self-paced learning yearlong. DHC personal guides each class in the Academy once a year. Access to each guided class is limited to students who register before the 2nd week of class. Registration for the Fall Guided course, "HIp Harp TOOLKIT" is currently closed.
"Play with Freedom"
Playalong Webinar for Harpist
NEW! This Summer
at “Hip Harp Academy”
“Summer Harp Jam” PLUS!
- See what's coming up here: EVENTS PAGE
- Watch my TEDx talk "Reinventing Freedom ... - a story told "from the Harp"
Hip Harp Academy for Harp Players
- Hip Harp Academy - Sign up for the Full Membership - LEARN MORE HERE
- Harness Your Muse - Yearlong Mentorship is open for Application - APPLY NOW
- Private Coaching - LEARN MORE HERE
Free Stuff for Harp Players
- Check out my Free Stuff page for MP3 downloads, Mini-Trainings for Harpists - and other things you can download for free DHC's FREE-Stuff Page